On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 12:26 PM, Warren Young <war...@etr-usa.com> wrote:

> On 5/28/2014 11:20, jose isaias cabrera wrote:
>

>> I would rather have the speed
>> then the size.
>>

> Many years ago, I read an article written by a Microsoft employee where
> they said they built Windows' own binaries optimized for size rather than
> speed, since in today's L1/L2/L3 world, size *is* speed.
>
> Bigger code gets kicked out of the processor cache faster, so the
> processor has to go back to main memory more often.

Good point. Many people fail to take into account that the real key to
speed is not what tricks a compiler can perform while translating code from
source to object form, but what algorithms are used in the source code. A
highly optimizing slow algorithm is rarely if ever going to outperform a
better algorithm.