"RSmith" wrote...

On 2014/07/16 14:23, jose isaias cabrera wrote:
"Simon Slavin" wrote...

That way is not particularly slow. You just need to have a good index. A good index for that search would be

CREATE INDEX sci ON startcodes (code,id)

You will find that that SELECT will then be blisteringly fast even with millions of rows in your table.

I do have that INDEX for that id and table. Thanks. :-) I was just trying to be greedy and see if I could become even faster. Thanks for your help.

Greed is good in this regard :)

Are all the searches unique or do you repeat a lot of searches for a very specific range? If the latter, then partitioning the table (well in SQLite that would really be a second derived table) might speed things up if space is not an issue, but I would only invest the design time for this once the standard query is proven to be slow - which might be the case.

Now that you mention this, I remember someone in this list that suggested for me to break this table down into closed projects (many), archived projects (the list keeps growing) and open projects. So, thanks for this reminder. I just have to write another email to this list later when I make those changes to see how I would search in all tables (Archived, Closed and Open) for all projects (archived, closed and opened) that belong to, say cust='Xerox', but, that will be later. :-)

Thanks.