On 1 Aug 2015, at 4:42pm, Jean-Christophe Deschamps <jcd at antichoc.net> wrote:

> Indeed and I'm surprised noone mentionned this from the very start of this
> thread: Nulls. There is no real provision in the RFC to represent Null, or
> distinguish Null from an empty string.

Just to deambiguate that, the first is true, not the second.  There's no way to
specify NULL in a CSV file, just like there's no way to specify a number.  An
empty string is a value of zero characters, not NULL.

Values in CSV files are not typed.  A string of characters is a value.  It's up
to the reading program to know whether it wants a string or a number or
possibly a NULL, and what to look for to make sure that the value can be
interpreted like that.  If your reading program wants to interpret NULL as NULL
and "NULL" as a string, that's not in contradiction of the CSV file format.

Simon.