On 2015-12-21 3:46 PM, lchishol at paradise.net.nz wrote:
> Joining the throng, here are my requests:
> a) Either an ORDER BY clause/equivalent for GROUP BY, or an assurance that the
> kludge of sorting a sub-query first and then grouping the result does and will
> continue to work - I need this functionality.

You need what to work exactly?  SQL tables are unordered by definition, and
ORDER BY is more of a display attribute at the end.  If you want to do
something
order-sensitive in the middle of a query then RANK is the proper generalized
way
to do it that SQL provides, that or, where applicable, order-insensitive
aggregates like min/max/etc which still tell you what value you'd get first if
you sorted a list without actually sorting it.

> c) A vote for RANK, but I'm doing that in my application at present, post-SQL
> but before printing. I know you can generate 1,2,3=,3=,5 type sequences from
> self-joins but it seems a lot easier to do it in Delphi!

I agree with adding RANK, it is very useful.

-- Darren Duncan