Yes, the relational model is the key, that is my point. The SQL language is
an entirely arbitrary syntax applied to it. You don't need it to work a
relational database, just like you don't have to program in C to write a
program for a typical processor.

I don't care about how many applications have a performance problem with
SQL generation. *My* application has a problem with it.

I also don't care about Richard's query. *My* queries are much easier to
form without contorting them into a SQL query.

This is the entire point of my changes: avoid arbitrary bottlenecks and
conventions that get in the way of performance and ease of use. It's not
useful for your average person or typical application, but it's extremely
useful for people who want to get the benefit of the database engine
encapsulated within it.