>  How can you defend SQL syntax other than on grounds of history or
standardization?

Short answer:  QWERTY.

Long answer:  IBM mainframe DOS -> Z/OS.  A 1960's o/s that is still
supported by the inner workings of its most modern o/s.

There's is nothing wrong with supporting the past.  Sometimes things we
don't like have long histories that we may not like.  But like it, or not,
those histories created a standard and got us to where we are today.  Why
forget the past?

We can enhance and embrace at the same time.  I do all kinds of --stuff--
using Ruby and PHP.  And the --stuff-- gets translated to SQL and sent to
my favorite db, Sqlite.  Why?  Because SQL works, and so much understands
it.  It has a legacy and an understanding and it is documented and it is
well vetted and and and and.

My 1 cent.