On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 4:17 AM, <david at andl.org> wrote:

> I've been reading this thread with great interest. It parallels the project
> I've been working on: Andl.
>
> Andl is A New Database Language.
>
> Andl does what SQL does, but it is not SQL. Andl has been developed as a
> fully featured database programming language following the principles set
> out by Date and Darwen in The Third Manifesto. It includes a full
> implementation of the Relational Model published by E.F. Codd in 1970, an
> advanced extensible type system, database updates and other SQL-like
> capabilities in a novel and highly expressive syntax.
>
> The intended role of Andl is to be the implementation language for the data
> model of an application. It is already possible to code the business model
> of an application in an SQL dialect, but few people do this because of
> limitations in SQL.  Andl aims to provide a language free of these problems
> that works on all these platforms.
>
> The current implementation on SQLite uses a mixture of generated SQL and a
> runtime VM. User-defined types are blobs, which the VM understands. A
> future
> implementation could generate SQLite VM code directly instead of SQL, which
> would save some overhead.
>
> The website is andl.org. The GitHub project is
> https://github.com/davidandl/Andl. It's a work in progress. Any feedback
> welcomed.

?Looks interesting. Too bad it's written in C#. I'm basically a Linux-only
guy (use Windows at work under protest, so to speak). Yes, I can use Mono
on Linux to compile C# and run it. And I may.?

--
Yoda of Borg, we are. Futile, resistance is, yes. Assimilated, you will be.

My sister opened a computer store in Hawaii. She sells C shells down by the
seashore.
If someone tell you that nothing is impossible:
Ask him to dribble a football.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown