I don't know. Back in the day, assembly was low-level because it was directly
converted to machine code. C was high level because you could express more
complex structures without worrying about the underlying architecture.

I still like that distinction. I think people are trying to call C low level
simply because there are even higher level languages. It's not just 'high' or
'low'. It's a spectrum.

C might be lower level to other languages, but higher level to assembler.