Also look for failures at the bus level.  I have had cases where some
component was mucking up the bus, and got long pauses because the OS kept
resetting the bus.  These caused huge pauses, like 30 seconds or more, and
due to how various OS components mostly do synchronous disk access, that
kind of thing can have pretty wide-ranging effects.

[For Linux, usually the errors will show up in the dmesg output.  No idea
where to look for other operating systems.]

-scott