On 10 Nov 2015, at 8:18am, OBones <obones at free.fr> wrote:

> However, using tools to read the SMART values for this harddrive, I noticed
> that it had been eating up spare sectors for quite a while.

That's actually a good suggestion for you: look at the SMART values, run any
hard disk diagnostics you have, etc..  Once you've backed-up, of course.

> So to answer, yes, it is definitely possible that the hardware is crashing
> and windows does not notice it.

You will see errors that components report to Windows.  But a dodgy sector on a
drive may just cause the driver to retry reading repeatedly (mystery delays) at
the driver level, and be reported as an error only if reading fails completely.

Simon.