Pocket calculators and COBOL used binary coded decimal (bcd) numbers to
avoid the representation/round off issues. But this meant another entire
number type (supported with addition, subtraction and having to be type
checked in functions) in addition to integer and floating point; most found
it easier to use integers to keep track on pennies...