On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 08:46:03PM -0600, Rick Langschultz wrote:
> I was wondering what would constitute the creation of SQLite 4.0?

IMO major implementation details changes are not necessarily a good
rationale for bumping the major version number, not from a user's p.o.v.
The authors might think it is though, and from a marketing p.o.v. it
really, really might be (perception matters).

If changing the major version number need not imply changing the C API
prefix, then it's certainly easier to change the major version number.

But I think developers are used to "sqlite3_" as the prefix now --
changing the major version number without changing that prefix will seem
odd, but changing the prefix without substantive changes to the API will
be gratuitous and very painful.

If the 3.x C APIs became a stone around SQLite's neck and couldn't be
incrementally fixed (by deprecating a small number of functions and
adding a few new ones), then the time might be right for changing the
prefix to sqlite4_.  If the DB format had to change radically, then that
too might be a good reason to change the major version number.

My guess is that the 3.x APIs are plenty good enough that incremental
evolution is far better than incompatible revolution, so I bet they are
here to stay.  Which means that if the major version number changes,
then it'll be for marketing purposes.

Nico