On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 10:55:42AM -0600, Fred Williams wrote:
> >                Which means that if the major version number changes,
> > then it'll be for marketing purposes.
>
> Well seeing how SQLite is FREE, it does its own "marketing" with one
> word, so to speak.  Therefore I doubt marketing will have much impact on
> versioning.  What a quandary develops when one goes against the grain of
> commercial software deployment :-)

I wouldn't knock marketing, even for open source, public domain projects
like this one, even where marketing has been of the word-of-mouth type.

The question is: will 4.0 scare folks ("oh dear, must be a new API, just
like 3.0 meant") or entice them ("oh cool!  must be way better, so I
should go learn it now")?

I have no idea what the answer to that is.

One very good aspect of SQLite 3.x has been stability and evolution
(i.e., few if any incompatible changes).  This too is very important
from a marketing p.o.v.

The safest bet is that 3.6.0 is a good enough move.

Nico