On 2 Apr 2012, at 10:24pm, Simon Slavin <slav...@bigfraud.org> wrote:

> On 2 Apr 2012, at 9:58pm, Alexey Pechnikov <pechni...@mobigroup.ru> wrote:

>> The 'libunistring' library implements Unicode strings (in the UTF-8,
>> UTF-16, and UTF-32 encodings), together with functions for
>> Unicode characters (character names, classifications, properties) and
>> functions for string processing (formatted output, width, word
>> breaks, line breaks, normalization, case folding, regular expressions).
>>
>> This package contains the shared library.
>> Homepage: http://www.gnu.org/software/libunistring/
>
> Trying to figure out what SQLite would want from Unicode characters I don't
> end up with any of those.  I think all it wants is sorting, so SQLite can
> make an index properly.

Hmm.  It's there:

<http://www.gnu.org/software/libunistring/manual/libunistring.html#unistr_002eh>

"The following function compares two Unicode strings of possibly different
lengths.

— Function: int u8_cmp2 (const uint8_t *s1, size_t n1, const uint8_t *s2,
size_t n2)
— Function: int u16_cmp2 (const uint16_t *s1, size_t n1, const uint16_t *s2,
size_t n2)
— Function: int u32_cmp2 (const uint32_t *s1, size_t n1, const uint32_t *s2,
size_t n2)
Compares s1 and s2, lexicographically. Returns a negative value if s1 compares
smaller than s2, a positive value if s1 compares larger than s2, or 0 if they
compare equal."

I wonder whether it respects languages.  I don't think so, but I can live
without it.  Time to hack up an external function for SQLite and see how little
of the library I need to make it work.

Simon.