Am 15.12.2014 11:37, schrieb jus...@postgresql.org:
On 2014-12-13 19:29, Mujtaba Ali Panjwani wrote:
I have created an encrypted database using visual studio plugin of
system.data.sqlite. Now whichever other database management software than
VS, I try to open that database is failing. Can any of you please help me
with issue. I suspect this is some sort of encryption algorithm support
problem but I don't know how to resolve the issue.

We have a similar open issue with DB Browser for SQLite:

   https://github.com/sqlitebrowser/sqlitebrowser/issues/155

Apparently (from that issue), the encryption algorithm used by
System.Data.SQLite is SQLCipher:

   https://www.zetetic.net/sqlcipher/

No, at least the *original* component System.Data.SQLite, available from

https://system.data.sqlite.org

uses its own encryption implementation based on a 128-bit RSA cipher (using the Windows Crypto API), while SQLCipher uses a 256-bit AES cipher (using the OpenSSL library). SQLCipher provides a .Net interface (SQLCipher for ADO.NET), which is *based on System.Data.SQLite*, that is, the SQLCipher guys used the .Net wrapper part of System.Data.SQLite, but replaced the internal implementation of the encryption algorithm by their own implementation.

The page

https://www.zetetic.net/sqlcipher/sqlcipher-ado/

explains how to use SQLCipherfor ADO.Net together with Visual Studio.

Unfortunately the various encryption extensions for SQLite are not compatible, so the developer has to take care that the development environment and the database management tools intended to be used support the same encryption extension.

Regards,

Ulrich