Deleting the (copied over) server.prefs on the new setup and forcing it
to auto-create a new server.prefs folder took care of the random play
resetting. I also had to go into the Windows administrative tools on the
original server computer and disable the auto startup LMS (changed it to
'Disabled'). I had originally thought that removing it from the startup
folder and the startup on MSCONFIG would take care of the problem but
noticed that with every daily reboot of the HTPC that it was still
running. I traced it down to the entry in the Administrative Tools.

It seems that copying over the original server.prefs file creates more
problems than it's worth.