I agree that it's not experienced frequently but I'm also not the only
person who has seen this problem, see 'ElwoodSC's comment'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?107537-Logitech-Media-Server-unresponsive-debug-help-please&p=886557&viewfull=1#post886557).
This is a completely fresh LMS installation (the Ubuntu box was used
for something else before) following the installation and
post-installation instructions 'here'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/DebianPackage#installing_7.9.0)
and the only plug-ins added by me are the newest BBC iPlayer and BBC
iPlayer Extras plugins.

While I agree that one mysqueezebox.com server going down should not
cause an issue, I'm also surprised that it is happening at all.  A
simple ping test shows that a single mysqueezebox.com IP address can be
out of service for many hours, and I have seen this happen on more than
one mysqueezebox.com IP address in the last few months.  If Logitech is
paying for hosting then they should ask questions.

Anyway, I've disabled all plug-ins apart from "Random Mix" (which I use
with the alarms in the morning) and will wait to see if the problem
recurs.