Material caches the artist and album lists (but not lists of albums by
an artist), and uses the 'LMS last scan time' to know when the cache is
invalid. If artists from online services are to be merged, I'd need
someway of knowing when my cache is invalid.

Optimizing updates isn't in LMS responsibility (except for the services built-in). But it's a big challenge indeed. We don't want to hammer music services every few minutes just to update when there's no update at all. But we should get updates as quickly as possible (thought this most likely will have to rely on polling - which I hate).

--

Michael