Windows 10 Pro here. I don't get crashes with 7.9.3 (I had them with
7.9.2) but in logs I get this:

I believe I still haven't seen prove of any "crash", but that there's more of a long delay.

FWIW: I've been able to reproduce the issue, seeing the many log entries. I applied a change to 7.9.3 and 8.0 to mitigate the issue. Less noise in the logs, and only one attempt on the https url before falling back to http. This will hopefully improve the experience.

As for the underlying issue I'm not sure yet: I tested on a all new Windows 10 with all the latest updates and didn't see the issue. Then, back home, I decided not to spend the time to update right before dinner. And on that slightly outdated Windows 10 I saw the issue. TBH this doesn't make sense to me. I would have expected the issue to be an outdated IO::Socket::SSL library - which is provided by Perl, not Windows. I'll keep investigating. But I fear this won't be easily resolved for good :-(.

--

Michael