Actually, I've found the playlist with the entire library in it. It's
the one titled 'Downloaded :iTunes' which isn't visible in iTunes and
I've never noticed before as I mainly use the 'Not Played For Ages' and
'Never Played' ones. Should I delete it in LMS and see what happens?

It'll be re-imported. We do have a condition in the importer to exclude an "all tracks" playlist that must have existed at some point. But that might have changed over time. Would you mind sharing your iTunes Library.xml file (or similar) with me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/T3RctyzGgNg0oFDubq6a

I've also installed the most recent nightly but turned off the full text
search plugin as that restores the scan duration to the normal few
minutes and by reverting to the simple title search.

That's always an option of course. But I'd like to understand the issue in order to prevent this surprise for other users. Thanks for helping me out so far!

--

Michael