d6jg wrote:
> Just chiming in with my 2p. If you can get Phillipe’s upnpbridge
> to work with your Onkyo and you are ok controlling playback with a
> browser based plugin Material on your phone etc then that is the way to
> go.
> However. If you only what to play 16/44.1 stuff Phillipe’s Airplay
> bridge is MUCH easier to get working with an Onkyo. It will do gapless
> but the Airplay 1 protocol is 16/44.1 only.
> Also some Onkyo’s have Chromecast built in in which case there is
> also Phillipe’s cast bridge to try.
>
> Edit. I have an Onkyo AVR which has DLNA/Airplay/Chromecast but I have a
> Pi4 based player plugged into it which is what I generally use but I
> have tested all three bridge plugins with it. The most seamless is
> definitely the Airplay bridge but I have a lot of 24bit stuff these
> days.
>
> Edit 2. You can get a good feel for LMS’s full capability by
> upgrading iPeng on your iPad to player mode (couple of £). Plug a set of
> headphones in and your away. IPeng is one of only 2 apps that provide
> LMS PLAYBACK on an iPad but for control try the Material LMS plugin and
> use Safari on the iPad. Once open do “Add to Home Screen”.
> Other essential plugins are Music & Artist Info and Spotty/Qobuz etc

Good info/advice, thanks! Yeah, my Onkyo is the TX-8160, so no
Chromecast unfortunately, just DLNA or Airplay. It would've been a
no-brainer for anything above 16/44.1, and I suppose I could get a
used/leftover Chromecast Audio to connect to it, but I'd rather stay
with just the Onkyo.

I know Airplay would be the smoothest option. I could even simply
convert all of my FLAC to ALAC, use iTunes/Apple Music for my library
and control with the iOS Remote app, no LMS necessary. BUT...I prefer
FLAC, and I'd be stuck at 16/44.1, as you've mentioned. Nice Plan B,
though, after I've pulled my remaining hair out.

I only want to use iPeng as a remote controller to play FLACs from my
Mac to my Onkyo, so not sure the player mode is necessary. I keep
reading about the Raspberry Pi options, but I'd still prefer to not add
anything extra to my setup.

So you say Material/Safari vs iPeng for control, huh? Interesting...