On Friday 21 February 2003 16:22, Kurt Bigler wrote:
> on 2/21/03 12:44 PM, Jesse Guardiani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snippety snip snip>

> > Can you currently log into IMAP or POP3 on your domain without specifying
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] as the userid?
>
> Absolutely, but of course it is not a login to IMAP or POP3 but into a
> Maildir, whose contents could have been put there by any means.

So, you've never used POP3 or IMAP? Just sqwebmail?

> So yes, I started by using the logindomainlist feature, so right away
> entering [EMAIL PROTECTED] was not necessary, but I still had to select the
> domain from the popup list.  But then I changed sqwebmail.c so that it
> would set a default value for the popup list by recognizing the list item
> that matched HTTP_HOST with "webmail." prepended.  As I said, not a general
> solution yet.

<snip>

> I suspect that the same configuration file could specify either a name or
> an ip, and accordingly you would match it against either SERVER_ADDR or
> HTTP_HOST.  Once you do a lookup in either case you are determining a login
> domain NAME, so the rest of the implementation should be identical.

Hmmm. That's not a bad idea. I don't remember real clearly what the HTTP_HOST
variable looks like, but I could easily do a comparison against both variables.

Good idea!

> Can I get you to buy into the idea that this can all be done using
> logindomainlist?  Use records of one of two formats:
>
>     logindomain:http_host:popup_flag
>     logindomain:server_addr:popup_flag

No. I want to keep the two files separate for compatibility reasons, as well
as functionality reasons. I like the idea of "defaulting" the domain drop down
on the login page if the 'logindomainlist' file exists. I think that would
be a bit harder to implement if I overload the 'logindomainlist' file for this
new functionality.

> Perhaps name and ip-based virtual hosting can't coexist on the same server
> (can it?),

Don't know first hand, but I don't see why not.

> in which case what I am proposing here is overly general
> solution with redundant information, i.e. every record basically specifies
> whether name or ip-based hosting is being used.  But still perhaps this is
> ok.  I think it is friendly for the administrator in either case.
>
> If I'm right then you could trivially include the name-hosting solution
> when you code what you are working on.  I will be glad to test it and work
> on it as needed, but we might as well do both things at once if at all
> possible. Only problem may be that our schedules won't coincide and the
> process will take more time.  But 9 chances out of 10 your solution will
> just work for the name-based situation if you just keep in mind HTTP_HOST
> as well as SERVER_ADDR.

Agreed. I'll have to make sure that the HTTP_HOST variable actually contains
the data we want, and that there isn't a better variable choice out there,
but I don't see why it wouldn't work as expected.

>  But if you want to code yours first and pass it to
> me, that is also fine.  If I'm not missing something big here, I can turn
> it around fairly quickly.

Once I get mine working, I can wait as long as it takes to confirm that your
side works before we submit it to Mr. Sam. Once my users are happy, the pressure
is off. :)

> Let me know.  I'll be around on and off this afternoon, until 5 or 6
> pacific time.

I'll try to get something working this weekend. No promises though. I've got
to keep the wife and kid happy too on the weekends. :)

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,

We are actively looking for companies that do a lot of long
distance faxing and want to cut their long distance bill by
up to 50%.  Contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] for more info.