Hannes,

Hopefully you won't have as much trouble as I had doing this!

1) You have to run an Xwindows server on your local machine.  (I got very
confused here).  In my case, I have a Mac, so I found  MI/X:  a freeware
windows manager /server.  There are ones for WIN, and if you're running
Linux, you have it built in.

2) Since I was using SSH2 to tunnel to the distant Linux box, I set the
IP address of the remote box (host) in the MI/X software to 127.0.0.1. -
the local loopback address for all machines.  I also set the "allow
remote host" address for connections to 127.0.0.1 in the MI/X software.
 The SS2 connection is between your box and the true IP address (or
domain name) of the remote box.

So it should look something like this:

   ------- L O C A L --------            ------- R E M O T E --------

   MI/X <--> 127.0.0.1 <--> SS2 client  |  SS2D <--> Linux OS

3) I created the SSH tunnel on port 23, Telnet.

4) I set up the remote box as others have indicated,

    [me@the_remote_box]$ export DISPLAY= 208.61.144.247:0.0

           (the IP address of my local local machine)

5) On the remote box, I started an xserver session:

    [me@the_remote_box]$ xserver &

6) In a few seconds, the Xserver window popped up and I could start other
Xapplications from that xserver window.

I hope this helps.  Eric.

Eric Moore
Miami, Florida