Hi  Geoff,
      Traction  tyres  or  no.
Call  them  what  you  will.  But  the  wheels  are  two  piece,  with
inner  spoked  wheels  and  a  seperate  wheel  flanged  rim approx.
.125"  wall  width.
(As  all  full  size.  prototypes).  However  the  Aster,
s  rims  are  probably  stainless  steel  as  you  said,  and  maybe
machined  from  tube.
       Maybe  it
was  the  electrical  insulation  melting  out.  I  never  thought  of
that. (The  seam  is  around  the  o/d  of  the  inner  primary  wheel )
i.e. Press  fit  joint line  around  the  rim.  The
inner  wheel  o/d  rim  and  the  inner  diameter  of  the  tyre  also  has
  2 ?
degree  angle  across  the  width,  so  easy  to  re-fit  and  self
centering,  without  any wobble.
       I  guess  I  replaced  the  insulation  with  the  Superweld
Metalised  Epoxy,  which  may  not  be  a  very  good   insulater.  Which
is  OK,  as  I  don't  like  those  horrid  little  volts  running  through
  my  track!..  Having  said  that,  my  U1
is  so  quiet  it  may  as  well  be  electric  powered  anyway.
        I  would  willingly  knurl  some   treads  on  your  tyres,  if  I
had  a  lathe.  I  am  already  looking.  Just  do  not  expect
the  knurls  to  be  full  depth  diamonds!.
        I  surmise  you  also  are  have  had  traction  problems  with
your KGV.?
I  added  approx  2  pounds  wieght  to  mine,  now  it  has  a  natural
wheelspin  at  startoff,  not  all  the  way  round  my  track.  It  could
  be  those  heavy  J&M  coaches
as  well.
        Feeling  Chuffed!,
        Tony D.