Hi  Joe  and  all,
     I  agree  on  the  raised  tracks  issue.  But  also  suggest  its
a  matter  of  "horses  for  course,s".
       I  also  looked  at  the  ditch  digging  idea,s  and  wrote  them
off  very quickly.
But  no  two  landscapes  are  identicle,  so  maybe  there  are  reasons
to  dig  ditches  for some
layouts.  I  suggest  much  more  convenient  to  achieve  the  eyelevel
view  by  building  up,  not  digging down.  Also  the  drainage
problems  are  eliminated.
      Reviewing  my  landscape  and  options
gave  me  no  choice  but  to  build
a  totally  elevated  track.  By  careful  measurements  I  found  I  could
  have  two  steaming  areas  at  36"  high  at  the  side  of  the  house,
with   18'" high  "scenic  runs"  across  the
front  of  the  house,  (and  not  to  imposing)  without  adding   or
disturbing  to  much  landscape.
      Some  guys  may  want  waist  high  tracks  for  total  length.  I
have  seen several
well  landscaped  waisthigh  tracks
also.  Including  one  track  that  goes  from
knee  high  to  an  unreachable  14' . high . But  sometimes  to  keep  the
rest  of  the family  happy,  the  track  should  not
be  too  intrusive.  Also  suggest  easier  for  guests  to  step  over
a  low track,  than  risk  falling  into  a  ditch?.
       I  suggest  the  bottom  line  is  to  have  a  track  immediately
at  hand  24  hours  a
day,  which  suits  the  owners  pre-requisites,  and  can  still  be
comfortably  utilised
and  enjoyed  by  friends  and  associates.
       Tony  D.