Hi  Joe,
       Amazing  co-incidences  between  the  problems  and  solutions  we
both appear to  have.  i.e.  raising  roadbed  18"  to  achieve
a  30"  elevation  against  a  path.
       I  worked the  problem  from opposite  direction.  I
did  not  want  track  at  ground level  in  front of  house  or  3'
high  either.  So  compromise  was  18"  in  front  of  house,
and  36"  at  the  side  of the  house for  steamup  bays.
      Dirt  based roadbed:-  Initially  60%  of my  track
was  sitting  on  a  dirt  based   roadbed.  But  the  last  40%  needed
to  be  on  a  wood  trestle structure.  I  found
myself  spending  more  time  releveling  the  dirt  roadbed  than
completing rest  of  the  track.
      So  cleared  all  the  dirt  roadbed  out,  and  rebuilt  up  on  1"
plywood  sheeting, (sitting  on  5" x  3"  redwood  decking),
covered  in  3/16"  felt  and
overlaid  with  1"  square  redwood  spars  for  track  base.
      After  300feet,  and almost  three  rebuilds,  when  time  came
time  to  join  up  both  ends,  track  height  variance  was  less  than
1/4"..
      At  the  moment  50%  is  double  track,  the
rest  single.  Makes  for  interesting  track  control  with  guests.  But
a  complete  double  track  is in  the  works.  (And
I  have  permission  from  the  supervisor   of  tracks and  gardens!).
     I  took  almost  2 years  to  complete  my track,  working
weekends  only.  So  you will  have
plenty  of  time  for  contemplating  options.
      Keep us  all  appraised.
      Tony  D.