On 12/11/02 2:21, "Gary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks to Trot the opinionated, I now know RH manufactures models made for
> continued operation, while Accucraft manufactures a working model, that
> requires higher repair costs to keep the model operational as wear exacts
> it's inevitable toll.

Not actually quite so simple Gary - this is tied up also with costs, both
initial and ongoing.
Trot is right - we don't yet know the cost of  replacement parts such as
cylinder back plates, coupling and connecting rods etc.  Nevertheless the
initial cost of a Superior is significantly lower than that of a Lady Anne
and I would have thought replacement parts would be similar.  In terms of
wear and bearing in mind the long bronze bushes on the axles, we are looking
at replacement of cylinder backplates, rods and gudgeon pins.
On Roundhouse we are looking at rods, pins, radius rods and expansion link
where wear is going to happen because, like the Accucraft Superior, none of
this is bushed.  Replacement of these will cost around 80 ukp altho' I may
be out of date here. I have run unbushed locomotives  (Merlin Roundhouse and
Pearse) for many years and my Pearse Countess was the first to suffer with
ovals in the con and coupling rods.  In fact Pearse supplied we with a new
set for 20 sovs and I bronze bushed these myself to avoid this problem in
the future.
Many people will not actually hit any significant wear because they just
don't run their locomotives as much as I do but do be aware that all of
these little dragons suffer from wear of these moving parts to a greater or
lesser degree and all should be maintained.
If you want a locomotive that will not wear in any sort of significant time
scale and will still be unworn when you cross over the bar and pass it on to
your grand children then I can only suggest you look at Cheddar Models -
Samson, Riesa and (soon) Goliath.  Comparable in price to Roundhouse R/C
locos these models are superbly engineered and all the running gear is
bronze bushed.  http://www.modelsteam.co.uk/
Check out the "news" section for latest models.  I have one of these
locomotives and have been most impressed with the build quality. US garden
steamers will be pleased also to note that the gas tanks are DESIGNED to use
propane/butane mix not butane only.
Yours Aye

Tag Gorton
Longlands & Western Railway