Yes my 1.5 scale narrow gauge shay uses kerosene or #2 diesel for fuel.  However
the burner is nothing more than a 4 x 6 inch plate with air holes coming through
the bottom and the fuel floods the plate.  Nothing at all like a blowtorch.  I
still have my dad's blowtorch he used to melt lead used when sealing black iron
sewer pipes.

My burner can roar like a blowtorch when the blower is up high or when the
engine is working hard.  Maybe that's what you heard Bob.

Clark