Royce and Harry,

Thanks for the explanation about "scratch". Harry, would it be more correct to say that you were trying to break the surface tension of the molten solder blob in order to make it run along the joint?

I understand Royce's comment about the process failing if you have to scratch it. I did a little bit of silver soldering the other day and had just about given up on one joint. The solder blob had partially melted and had an uneven surface and a slightly darker color. If I'd had a scratch rod I'd have used it. As it was I turned up the Mapp gas a little bit and held the torch steadier adjacent to the joint and the solder, most of it anyway, eventually wicked along the joint.