On 10/7/03 8:05 am, "Mike Chaney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> I can explain volts / amps.
>> Volts = how fast the river is flowing
>> Amps = how wide it is
>
> I used to teach electronics to adults using the "water analogy" to explain the
> relationship between voltage, current, resistance etc..  On one occasion,
> having
> spent about twenty minutes going through my spiel, a voice from the back (why
> is
> it always the back?) asked, "I understand the electricity bit, but what's all
> this stuff about water?"

In the Royal Navy I was taught to use the mnemonic "Virgins Are Rare" which
most young sailors found very easy to remember.  Some of the other mnemonics
were not only highly politically incorrect but unsuitable for the ears of
respectable young steamologists such as ourselves.  The resistor colour code
I have always remembered, the phrase taught for this purpose by a grizzled
old Chief Electrician would nowadays get him sacked............
--

Yours Aye

Tag Gorton
Longlands & Western Railway