On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dave Cridland wrote:
>  > Fast resynchronization is somewhat more complex - roster optimizations
>  > is one area we need, and I think I see a clear way of doing this.
>  > Whether it's implementable by everyone I don't know. Essentially, it
>  > would be a monotonically increasing modification sequence on the roster,
>  > and whenever a roster entry is changed, increasing the sequence and
>  > stamping the roster entry with the current value.
>
>  Rosters are so core to how both clients and servers work that I somewhat
>  doubt if changes thereto will see wide implementation or deployment
>  anytime soon.

There connection managers will come :D

>  > It's more efficient
>  > than ETags on the entire roster, and would then give clients a simple
>  > "tell me stuff that's changed" operation. Roster removals would still be
>  > painful, but those are rather rarer than changes and additions, I think.
>
>  Agreed.

I think the same mechanism could be applied to presence stanzas too. I
already have in my rosters many bots always online  whose presence
never changes (and many will come, since it's so easy to offer
services to mobiles using bots), so why not assuming that the starting
presence is the last known and only changes are sent?

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com