Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
Dave Cridland wrote:

On Fri Feb 15 11:36:01 2008, Aki Niemi wrote:

Is there currently a way for the client to put its connection into
dormant mode. For example, when my phone is in my pocket with the screen
locked, keeping the roster's status updated seems unnecessary. Yet, the
connection still needs to be live for incoming IMs and sessions.

I think you mean presence updates rather than roster updates. There
isn't such a way, but it seems like a practical idea. Of course a lot of
clients have buddy-pounce functionality which can be useful, so you'd
need to cater for this, but a first step would be that if you want
buddy-pounces, then you'd not make the connection dormant.

It would be good to analyze the relative percentage of presence to
messages. My sense from watching the XML console in Psi is that most of
the "noise" is presence.

In general I think it might be difficult to determine which stanzas are
worth waking up for (some messages might just be PEP notifications), but
ignoring presence seems like a good start.

Peter

>From a developer's perspective, I would agree in saying that most of the "noise" is from presence packets.

Dallas