On Feb 16, 2008 6:10 AM, Peter Saint-Andre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It would be good to analyze the relative percentage of presence to
> messages. My sense from watching the XML console in Psi is that most of
> the "noise" is presence.
>
> In general I think it might be difficult to determine which stanzas are
> worth waking up for (some messages might just be PEP notifications), but
> ignoring presence seems like a good start.

I must study how privacy lists work (don't know if they need some
extension or we can use them in this way), but the best solution in
this case seems a set of privacy rules allowing asymmetric presence
distribution. When I'm online with a mobile there may be at least
three groups of users:
- symmetric presence exchange (as it works now, I want being
constantly informed about their status and let them know mine)
- asymmetric presence: let them know my status, but don't update me
with theirs until they do some action (e.g. a message) or I query
explicetely
- no presence at all: don't bother with these contacts when I'm with a mobile

--
Fabio Forno, Ph.D.
Bluendo srl http://www.bluendo.com