Hello,

historic reasons are IMO the main ones.

Dave's proposal is to avoid breaking already working
implementation. It's purely practical, not psycological.

The :tmp: proposal was a good start. But we see it was not good enough.
I suggest thinking and talking a bit before we agree on a new way.

Dave's reasons are good but the particualar schema could be still
improved.

Just to point out:

Some protocols further subdivide its URNs
 * urn:xmpp:tmp:[name]:[section]
 * urn:xmpp:[name]:[section]
where section may be a discovery feature PubSub namespace or whatever.
Replacing it by
 * urn:xmpp:[name]:[version]:[section]
(consistently with what Dave said)

If you use this style of versioning, I suggest to (if there are no
severe reasons against):

1) use the major versions of the XEPs as major versions are usually
intended for this sort of incompatible redesign. This would avoid
confusion with "just another revision number" and help maintain
backwards compatibility where necessary.
Examples:
 * urn:xmpp:pubsub:2
   (if PubSub reaches version 2.x, otherwise we'd better keep
   http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub)
 * urn:xmpp:pubsub:2:errors
   (same but for http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#errors)

2) drop the 'tmp' and use major version 0.x instead (as it's already
done)
Examples:
 * urn:xmpp:search:0
 * urn:xmpp:search:0:users
 * urn:xmpp:search:0:servers

Note: This would also affect the best practice in protocol changes and
versioning. I personally believe this would provide more help than harm.
For version 0, incompatible changes would by allright, for higher
versions it would be sensible to add new features as optional (we
still have discovery) and possibly, in the future, they would be
marked REQUIRED all at once with a major protocol change.

I believe the incompatible changes for higher versions would be rare.

Pavel

--

Pavel Šimerda
Freelancer v oblasti počítačových sítí, komunikace a bezpečnosti