On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 1:04 AM, Eric Will <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 10:05 PM, Matthew Wild <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> While it is MAY as it is now I believe servers will begin implementing
>> it as a consequence of all the discussions about leaking presence
>> through user-specified resources. It's as good as a recommendation. I
>> would simply rather the focus be on the IM clients to change instead.
>>
>> There is almost no point at all in allowing the client to specify a
>> resource if the server has every right to modify it. It's not a road I
>> think we want to go down.
>
> No matter what the clients change, people can still type in the XML
> manually and send it to a server.

If they type it manually then they know what they are doing, and when
they come to type the stanza for resource binding, they will read the
RFC and see that it recommends not specifying a resource :)

> Right now my code adds random numbers to the end of the supplied
> resource, which I figured was a Good Thing. It seems no one here likes
> that idea, though. Should I take that out?

As long as your server will definitely generate a fully-random
resource when asked (as in
http://xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-saintandre-rfc3920bis-07.html#bind-servergen
) then I would argue yes, you should take out the code that modifies
the resource that a client gives you.

Matthew.