Am 05.10.2008 um 03:05 schrieb Matthew Wild:

Personally I agree with you, I would probably continue to use a static
resource. However it is against the spirit of XMPP to allow the
possibility of presence leaks, so I think it is best that the RFC says
that clients SHOULD ask for a server-generated resource.

A random resource is just a very ugly workaround for presence leaks. Fix the root of the problem, not the symptoms. For example, a client can still leak through XEP-0184, the random resource won't help there.

That said, a clever client could generate a random resource, and use
that. If it got temporarily disconnected, it could re-use the same
resource until you actually sign off manually or quit.

Which would kill the idea of a random resource to "protect you from presence leaks" (which is nonsense anyway).

--
Jonathan