Especially that this can be quite easily achieved with privacy lists

I thought we did the contrary: introduce an invisibility extension
because: a) Implementing this in a client using privacy lists is quite
some work, is not atomic, has nasty corner cases that are hard to
solve, and is even harder to implement if you take into account
existing privacy lists, and b) Would avoid servers having to implement
privacy lists (which is no longer in rfc3920) just to provide
invisibility.

Working alone on such a big project I must admit I am not following
all discussions careful enough and I am quite often loosing track
of changes in RFCs and XEPs.

This is why I was not aware of the conclusion of that discussion.
I will try to dig the subject in the list archives to not bring the it
back again.

Artur
--
Artur Hefczyc