I am also in favor of using stuff we have currently in RFCs and XEPs instead of introducing
new extensions.

I appreciate the complexity of privacy lists and problems they cause with interoperability between different clients. I don't like however the approach that instead of finding agreement in some "standard" way for using privacy lists we find the agreement in using
a new XEP instead.

Privacy lists are very generic and powerful and... complex. But this is a good base we
could build simpler stuff on top of it.

In fact introducing new XEPs is kind of building solutions on top on..... XML which is even more generic and more powerful. This makes me thinking we should be able to find common
ground on top of privacy lists too.

And I don't agree that privacy lists are too complex for the end user. The end user doesn't have to see it... ever. Privacy lists can be hidden behind simple buttons: block/unblock invisible/visible. And they allow us to do things which are not possible with those 2 XEPs.

Like become invisible for a selected users only. You can be invisible to other people while you can still receive their status. And if we need privacy lists offer us much more. And I am
sure we may soon need much more when spam will try to get into XMPP.

3 XEPs instead of one for the same things is also very bad for the servers. As different clients connect to the server and different client may want to use different XEPs the server must offer all of them. And this may impact server performance on busy installations because the packet filter must now check 3 blocking methods instead of 1 for each user and for
each packet.

I didn't like the privacy lists at the beginning either but at least that was a single way for blocking all kinds of packets. If you think privacy lists are broken or bad I am then in favor for changing them to something better instead of adding completely new stuff.

Artur