Hi,

I am the server developer so let me add something to the discussion
even if this is not a direct response to anybody post.

I think I understand the point but my opinion is if people want to push
more and more processing on the server to make live easier on the
client side then the server installations will become more and more expensive.

If the server had to validate XMLNS as well it would significantly
affect the server performance and memory consumption as it would need
to keep information about XMLNS for stanzas currently parsed for all
network connections. Don't even mention the CPU usage to perform
all the validation.
Without tests I can't really say how much the resource usage would grow
but I can imagine it could be significant.
One of the reason for a good performance in Tigase server is a very lightweight
XML parser I have written.

And please note. All these increased resource usage would be only needed
because _sometimes_ it _may_ happen that maybe 1/1mln packet might have
incorrect XMLNS......

I am not sure if this is worth the cost.

I am not speaking just about XMLNS validation here. I would like you to keep it in mind on any occasion you want to push even more processing to the server. And this is not just for my own comfort to have less development work to do. It seems to me that fast and low resources consuming servers are good for us all.

I don't mean I don't want to add more stuff to the server and put more processing on the server at all cost. I like software development and I am always happy to
implement something new. Even if this is just iq:iq...
Sometimes however it is better to do more on the client side if possible.

Artur
--
Artur Hefczyc
http://www.tigase.org/