On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 14:46 +0100, Fabio Forno wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Waqas Hussain <waqa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Partial roster activation is a much much more attractive feature for
> > me than partial roster retrieval. I would probably never consider
> > using partial roster retrieval for my jabber account.
>
> Partial retrieval will become useful by using the roster as general
> purpose address book, as we discussed in Brussels. In that case it
> becomes essential to be able to query it or do partial retrievals.
> During the meeting we made also made additional use cases: each roster
> item could have additional data (vcards, certificates, ...) and that
> information should be retrieved only upon specific requests, not
> everytime you get the roster. In other words if we want to extend the
> roster we need some mechanism for filtering retrieval in two
> dimensions:
> - filtering the contacts that are retrieved
> - filtering the additional information sent with each contact

Rather than redefining roster, a well-defined PEP node might be better
and simpler as an address book. The "address-book" node would hold a
single address per node item.

I do see limitations to using PEP as an address book though. To prevent
all clients from querying all items at startup, they should cache the
results and then query for any changes since their last known state. I
don't see a way in PEP/PubSub to do that kind of retrieval though.

Also I would be nice for a address-book type feature if PEP/PubSub
allowed queries based on the content of an item. Say all users in group
XYZ.

Tory

--
Tory Patnoe