Hello,

Jonathan Schleifer wrote:

> That should be achieved by other means IMO. For example, you could
> only retrieve the roster group you are interested in and use a privacy
> list so that only this roster group receives your presence. The
> privacy list could also block incoming presences.

Our client OneTeam is supporting lots of options in term of privacy and
who can see you and who cannot see you.
However, based on the currently available tools the implementation is
hack to work around a few things that are not possible in the protocol
currently.

>> What you suggest can be done by retrieving the roster normally and
>> enabling a privacy rule.
>
> No, what I mean is simply not retrieving the whole roster. For
> example, I could have a group "Bots" that I'm not interested in, but
> which need to see my status. So why retrieve them as part of the
> roster then?
>
> I think retrieving only a part of the roster should not change
> anything regarding presence.

I think it should. That's what most people do when they want to achieve
what I described in a good way: They create several accounts (work, home
for example) and use them accordingly.
This approach would allow to use one account to achieve the same
result: Being able to have several profile that you can use depending

Regarding the roster, do not forget that you are not forced to get it
when you connect.

--
Mickaël Rémond
 http://www.process-one.net/