Hello,

Jonathan Schleifer wrote:

> Ok, then how do you want to solve the use-case that you have thousands
> of users who should see you, but you're not interested in their
> presence? With you're aproach, they wouldn't see you - thus it would
> miserably fail for this use case.

See further.

> If you DON'T filter presence based on which parts of the roster you
> received, you can STILL use privacy lists to achieve what you want -
> BOTH usecases would be possible this way.

End user do not seems to understand privacy lists, and most of all they
need to make the effort of building them. They need to have build the
privacy list before being able to do what I described.
This suppose planning that seems to go beyond what most users are wanting
to do, as opposed to "Oups, I absolutely need to talk to our sysadmin
let's have a quick chat", which is very common and I guess users would
love being able to do.

>> Regarding the roster, do not forget that you are not forced to get it
>> when you connect.
>
> But maybe I _WANT_ parts of it? I for example _WANT_ to see those in
> the group "Friends", but DONT'T want to see those in the group "Work"
> when I'm at home, but still want that they can send me messages if
> there's something important.

This sounds like a client side feature to me:
- Client should only display part of the roster you want to see (for
example one groups).
- Client should use the cached version of the roster on the
client to avoid downloading it.

--
Mickaël Rémond
 http://www.process-one.net/