On Mar 12, 2009, at 4:16 PM, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:

Developers have been poking me about roster versioning:

http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0237.html

In fact developers are already implementing it. :)

So we need to make a final decision:

1. Do we limit this to rosters?

  <iq type='get'>
    <query xmlns='jabber:iq:roster' ver='foo'/>
  </iq>

Implications: (a) it is included in rfc3921bis (b) it can't be used for
anything else (e.g. disco) and we'd need to define similar methods for
those protocols.

OR

2. Do we make it more general?

  <iq type='get'>
    <query xmlns='jabber:iq:roster'>
      <ver xmlns='urn:xmpp:dataver'>foo</ver>
    </query>
  </iq>

Implications: (a) it is defined in a standalone XEP (b) it can be used
in any protocol that might return large data sets (rosters, disco, and
perhaps others).

I still lean to #1 but let's get consensus and finish this discussion so
that developers can do their coding. :)

#1.

The semantics of #1 work well for roster synchronization between server and client. Nothing guarantees that they will work as well for other cases.

On a side note: For the disco situation, the hash-based caps work already, and we could ask server vendors to send a server presence on connect with their own caps. Caps to cache server disco#info might just work.

Best regards,
--
Pedro Melo
XMPP ID: m...@simplicidade.org