On 4/27/10 3:00 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
> In XMPP, each stream has a default namespace. Stanzas are the elements
> with local-name "message", "presence", or "iq", qualified by that
> default namespace. Streams also have other, specifically documented,
> top-level elements, such as those for SASL, or TLS negotiation - these
> being explicitly signalled as being acceptable. Other unknown top-level
> elements will cause the connection to be dropped.

Sometime yesterday (before you sent your message to the list) I wrote
the following text in my working copy of 3920bis:

***

Note: Because a client sends stanzas over a stream whose default
namespace is 'jabber:client', if the server to which the client is
connected needs to route a client-generated stanza to another server
then it MUST "re-scope" the stanza so that its default namespace is
'jabber:server' (i.e., it MUST NOT send a stanza qualified by the
'jabber:client' namespace over a stream whose default namespace is
'jabber:server'). Similarly, a routing server MUST "re-scope" a stanza
received over a server-to-server stream (whose default namespace is
'jabber:server') so that the stanza is qualified by the 'jabber:client'
namespace before sending it over a client-to-server stream (whose
default namespace is 'jabber:client').

***

That might not be precise enough, and it leaves out the error handling.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/