On Tue Apr 27 23:09:25 2010, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
I assume that even if we allowed 'jabber:client' stanzas over
'jabber:server' streams, we would not allow 'jabber:server' stanzas over
'jabber:client' streams. At which point everything becomes
'jabber:client', in a way...

Except subtly not, because the schema of jabber:server is different that of jabber:client.

That aside, we cannot get rid of either:

1) Many XMPP server-only implementations exist. It's not clear to me how those might behave - for instance, Microsoft's OCS has an XMPP "gateway", and it's specifically marked as being tested only with Jabber XCP and GTalk, neither of which send jabber:client over S2S as far as I'm aware. (Nor do ejabberd, OpenFire, etc either. Prosody only did in comparatively rare cases, and we only noticed that in *very* late testing).

2) jabber:client is used by all the clients, and I'm confident in saying not all clients would accept jabber:server.

Besides which, it's really not that much effort on the part of the server to translate between namespaces, surely?

Dave.
--
Dave Cridland - mailto:d...@cridland.net - xmpp:d...@dave.cridland.net
 - http://dave.cridland.net/