On Wednesday 28 April 2010 04:05:32 Dave Cridland wrote:
> Besides which, it's really not that much effort on the part of the
> server to translate between namespaces, surely?

It's awkward usage of XML.  I'd like to phase out such usages that cause
people to react with "what were they thinking?".  Standardizing on
jabber:client for stanzas, regardless of the stream they are carried over, is
the right move.

> That aside, we cannot get rid of either:

Right, we can't.  At best, we could have text saying that on s2s connections
the jabber:server namespace MUST be supported and the jabber:client namespace
SHOULD be supported, with a note that almost all existing servers support
just jabber:server.  In reality this will mean everyone will continue to use
jabber:server and no real change would have happened, but I don't know what
else to suggest.

-Justin