On 06/18/2010 08:20 PM, Konstantin Kozlov wrote:
Waqas Hussain пишет:
On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 5:00 PM, Konstantin Kozlov <yag...@yandex.ru>
wrote:
Well. According to my experience, based on knowledge of my behavior and
behavior of my friends, the fact that my message is not "new" anymore on
the other side is enough to assume that user on the other side read it.
See XEP-0085: Chat State Notifications. That nicely solves the problem
of determining if the other side is paying attention to the
conversation.
No. We don't know how messages represented on the other side. It could
be chat windows, pop-ups or whatever author of the application can
imagine. So, in some implementations some (or all) chat state
notifications are meaningless or has limited usability.

Why that? <active/> means chat windows is active, not that a popup appreaed.

Also, analyzing chat state of the other side trying to guess if the user
paid attention to your message is much less convenient than just receive
<read /> notification.

What's the difference bwtween receiving a <read/> amd receiving a <active/> stanza?

--
Yann