Waqas Hussain wrote:
On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 11:20 PM, Konstantin Kozlov <yag...@yandex.ru> wrote:
  No. We don't know how messages represented on the other side. It could be
chat windows, pop-ups or whatever author of the application can imagine. So,
in some implementations some (or all) chat state notifications are
meaningless or has limited usability.
  Also, analyzing chat state of the other side trying to guess if the user
paid attention to your message is much less convenient than just receive
<read /> notification.

My mistake. I assumed you were agreeing with Kev.
   No, do not. I agree with the author.
 You were suggesting
a new <read/> element be added to message receipts?
   Yes.
As Yann Leboulanger noted, <active/> does what you think <read/>
should do. See http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0085.html#definitions
Ok. I've already replied to Yann Leboulanger, trying to show that it does not.
If you can't imagine that, then you clearly aren't trying
  Believe me, I really did.
You mustn't get a lot of messages then. I can get swamped by messages
at times. Most of them don't require/expect a response. Also, I'm not
always paying attention to the screen, or to the IM client. When you
have multiple items requiring focus, some get higher priority than
others. That's not unreasonable.
Not all conversations are equal. Much of it is background chatter, or
messages which don't actually require a response. It's quite
convenient following such conversations in a background window, or
through popups (toasts).
  So, what?
So, I don't want to take action to mark those as read immediately, and
I don't want the other side to assume that I'm not reading. I am
reading them. Just don't want to alt-tab when a response doesn't need
to be written.
Ok. Maybe in some situations this extension will not work as it should. But in most cases it will.