On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 10:41 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpe...@stpeter.im>wrote:

> On 7/19/11 7:42 PM, Glenn Maynard wrote:
>
>  (Of course, mobile clients should really be using xbosh anyway, which
>> avoids these and other issues,
>>

> Opinions vary on that score. We had some discussions about this years ago
> at one of the XMPP Summit meetings in Brussels and the guys from Nokia
> reported that TCP was actually much better for mobile apps because there are
> magical ways to manage long-lived TCP connections without waking up the
> device, which is not true for the more chatty BOSH protocol. Naturally,
> YMMV.

I don't know of anything like that on Android, unfortunately.

Being able to seamlessly tolerate network changes, eg. 3G to WiFi, is also
very useful.  I think XMPP session management can do that too, but it's
harder to implement since, as it involves reauthentication, it's not a
cleanly separable transport-layer mechanism.  I wish it used a session-ID
based mechanism like BOSH.

I've also considered attempting to combine BOSH with Android's C2DM for
wakeup notifications, which would allow shutting down the TCP connection
completely when idle, reducing battery overhead to zero.

How so? The specs are stable so there's probably no need to change them
> frequently. However, there has been discussion on the b...@xmpp.org list
> over the last few months and that might lead to some small changes and
> clarifications. Let's wrap up those threads and see if we need to publish a
> revised version of XEP-0124 (and perhaps XEP-0206).

There didn't seem to be much interest in the protocol feedback I sent, at
least.  (I meant to ping that thread, but I havn't had much spare time for
XMPP/BOSH projects lately.)

> It would be beneficial if there was *some* standardized way to send a
keepalive packet in less than 70 bytes

TCP keepalives do that; they're nothing but an empty TCP packet with a
redundant ACK, to cause a keepalive with the minimum possible packet size
and without inserting garbage into the stream.

--
Glenn Maynard