In order to get an approximate value, we could check what we get with recommended values for the optional items.

1. I think it is quite common that the overhead in XMPP gets around 300 bytes per packet. (It might be 200 in some conditions.)

2. The recommended rate of packets is one every 700 ms as long as new text is produced. Thus 1.4 packets per second. = 420 bytes per second overhead.

3. The text plus keypress interval information is often 20 bytes per character. ( see XEP-0301 section7.9 )  5 characters per second is then 100 bytes per second.

4. The sum with this example is 520 bytes per second or 4.2 kbit/s,  in 1.4 packets per second.

5. Since the values for overhead were very coarse, we should round off to about 500 bytes/s and 4 kbit/s in 1.5 packets/s.

6. If you select options differently, you will have different results.

Gunnar
Gunnar Hellström
Omnitor
gunnar.hellst...@omnitor.se